Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Splash! A failed attempt and a cautionary tale.

This is the story of baby Ray's first time in the ocean. BUT I would say it is also a story of how sometimes men have selective hearing.

I've been wanting to take baby into the ocean before the water gets too cold. I thought last weekend was the perfect opportunity. So after eating a ginormous breakfast and watching conference we got ready to go to the beach. The weather has been kind of fickle lately so I wanted to hurry up and go while the sun was still out and it was hot. We decided to go to Turtle Bay since it's a little more kid friendly. Well we got there and I could already see the big gray clouds coming in the distance. I told AJ we gotta get in the water before it rains because I really wanted to dunk baby under the water. During the time on our way to the beach and when we got there I think I said AT LEAST 3 times that all you have to do is blow in baby's face so he holds his breath before you dunk him.....easy peasy right?

So this is how Ray's first experience with the ocean went:
Aj takes our nakey bum baby into the water while I'm standing near by, obvi with phone in hand to take pictures. I snap some pictures of them getting in the water. Baby was great he was just cruisin. Except when Aj held him out away from his body then he let out a sad little cry because he didn't like that, but he was just fine when Aj was holding him close to his body. He didn't seem to hate it, which is a good sign cause I want a little water baby who swims like a fish! Anyways so after I was done taking pictures I told Aj to dunk him. Aj kind of didn't want to cause he was scared, but I told him to "just do it, and hurry up before it starts raining!" So I'm watching, Aj holds baby out a little bit away from his body and I'm waiting for him to blow in his face, but I watch horrified and frozen as Aj dunks little Ray into the water WITHOUT blowing in his face!! I think I was frozen for a good 5 seconds before I could say anything or react. Because I then watched as Aj pulled him out of the water........AND THEN BLEW IN HIS FACE!!! HE DID IT BACKWARDS despite how many times I had told him how to do it!

It took a second to register then I started whisper yelling because 1- I didn't want Aj to get embarrassed by his psycho wife yelling at him in front of all the haole tourists, and 2- I didn't want to draw attention to the fact that we're new, inexperienced, bad-for-dunking-our-2-month-old-baby-and-almost-drowning-him-parents. So I whisper yelled at Aj, "What are you doing??? You're suppose to blow in his face BEFORE you dunk him so that he holds his breath!!" Aj was just like "I don't know what I'm doing. YOU should have done it!" And I'm just like "REALLY?!! How many times did I tell you what to do???" And I know for a fact that we have had conversations previously in which I also told him how you're suppose to dunk a baby underwater. UGH! MEN!! OPEN YOUR EARS!!! So typical...only listen to the first part of what I'm saying then all you hear is "blah blah blah" LOL SO ANNOYING!!

So I'm thinking first you try to drown our baby THEN you try to suffocate him by blowing in his face so he can't breathe?!!! Needless to say we DID NOT attempt to dunk him again. Aj handed Ray over to me because I had his towel and he was kind of freaking out and he had all this snot that came out of his nose all over his face. Poor kid. I felt so bad. I should have done it myself. We walked back to our towels right as it was starting to sprinkle so we got our things and walked to the car. We were only there for about 15-20 min. Just long enough to traumatize baby....and me.

To any new mommies out there or future mommies who plan on one day dunking their baby underwater take this as a cautionary tale....don't trust your husband to dunk you baby for the first time unless you write him out directions and make sure he has them memorized.

This whole mom thing is going to be the death of me someday I just know it. I am constantly worried about my little. I just didn't think I had to worry about his daddy being the one hurting him! hahaha ahhh you live and you learn right? I love my (deaf) husband and I love my little Ray.


US.
My Boys :)
I LOVE them SO MUCH.
Right before THE DUNK.
They both have crazy windblown hair and seriously I can't get enough of that cute little baby bum!

PS. Yes I realize I still have not blogged the birth story. It's coming......I promise...haha

No comments:

Post a Comment